Massage Therapy Scholarship
At MBLExGuide we believe in education and helping new massage therapists succeed. We know that completing a professional massage therapy training program can be challenging and require sacrifices.
As strong advocates for health and wellness education, we are proud to give back to the massage and bodywork community and assist aspiring massage therapists on their journey.
Massage Therapy Scholarship - Fall 2023
This scholarship is available to any massage student currently enrolled in an approved entry-level massage therapy training school or program in the US, and who is working towards taking the FSMTB Massage & Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEx) to become a professional massage therapist (see eligibility requirements below). One winner will be selected and awarded the $1,000 scholarship.
Application Deadline: December 31, 2023
Application Period Will End In:
(Please read instructions below before applying!)
Share this page
Enroll in our MBLEx Prep Course!
The MBLEx Prep Course provides massage therapy students and graduates with an organized, convenient and comprehensive review for the FSMTB massage licensing exam. Complete with practice quizzes and progress tracking.
Massage Scholarship Eligibility
In order to be eligible to apply for the Fall 2023 MBLExGuide Scholarship, massage therapy students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Participant must be a currently enrolled student in an approved entry-level massage education program in the US. For a massage school to be approved, the massage program must meet all their state licensing requirements that enable graduates to apply for a state massage therapy license after completion of the program. This includes meeting the minimum number of classroom and instructional hours, and any other state curriculum requirements necessary for licensing. (Recent graduates from an approved massage therapy school or program are eligible to apply as long as they will complete their entry-level massage therapy program on or after October 31, 2023).
- The student must be in good standing with their massage school and passing all classes.
- Proof of current enrollment must accompany your scholarship entry. This can be contact information for your massage program director so that enrollment can be verified.
- Applicants must complete one written essay based on the topic described below, and must follow all entry guidelines. One entry per student will be accepted.
How to Apply
Review the eligibility criteria (listed above) to ensure that you are eligible to participate with this massage therapy scholarship program. Write your essay following the submission guidelines detailed below.
Complete the scholarship application form and upload your entry as instructed on the application page. Complete the survey after submitting your application.
Write a Massage Therapy Case Study
The topic of the Fall 2023 MBLExGuide Scholarship is to write a massage therapy case study. This can be a simple and informal case study that involves a single massage therapy session. Or it can be a more detailed case study that ranges over several massage sessions. It should be based on a real massage client’s case (not hypothetical), however, do not disclose any confidential information about the client (e.g., real name, or information that could identify the client).
The primary goals of a case study are to inform, educate, and contribute to the broader knowledge base of the field. Massage therapy students should approach this case study as both a learning experience and a tool for reflection. Creating a case study can strengthen a new practitioner’s critical thinking skills, especially when it comes to making a treatment plan and analyzing outcomes.
The following is a suggested outline and framework for your massage case study:
- Create a descriptive title that captures the essence of the case study. It should ideally include the condition that is being addressed, the intervention/treatment, and some aspect of the outcome or unique characteristic.
- Write brief summary of the case study, highlighting the key points, conclusions and what you learned. This section is typically structured in a way that mirrors the larger report.
- Background: Briefly introduce the topic of your case study. Provide any necessary background information, and describe the context and any notable or unique aspects of the case.
- Objective: State the purpose of the case study, its relevance to massage therapy, and what you hope to demonstrate or explore through the case. List any questions that this case study seeks to address.
- Provide information about the client without revealing their identity. Include demographics (e.g., age, gender, occupation, etc.), and relevant health history (e.g., past illnesses, surgeries, or ongoing medical conditions).
- Presenting Problem: Provide details about the specific issue or main problem that the client presented with (their reason for seeking massage therapy). This could be a physical complaint, emotional stressor, or a combination of both. Describe how the client’s condition affects their daily life or specific activities.
- Describe how you assessed the client’s needs. This could involve initial interview questions, physical assessment techniques (e.g., palpation or special tests), or observations (e.g., posture, gait, muscle tone, range of motion, pain points, or other physical symptoms or clinical manifestations).
- Objective Measurements: Select an appropriate measurement that you will use to assess the effectiveness of your interventions. For example, you can use the Numeric Pain Rating Scale (NPRS) to measure pain before and after treatment on 0-10 scale. Or you could assess changes in range of motion, muscle tone, edema, posture, movement, special test, etc.
- Describe the proposed massage therapy treatment plan. Include the following:
- Expected frequency and duration of treatments (how often and how long)
- Specific techniques or modalities to be used.
- Any recommended self-care or exercises for the client.
- Treatment goals (what you hope to achieve, both short-term and long-term).
- Give a summary of the actual sessions. Include the following:
- Date and Duration: When the session took place and for how long.
- Techniques Applied: Specific strokes, pressure points, or modalities used.
- Client Feedback: Immediate responses, levels of comfort or discomfort, any adjustments made during the session.
- Post-Treatment Observations: Changes in pain level, range of motion, or other relevant observations.
- (Optional) Include treatment notes for each session.
Results and Observations
- Summarize and discuss the outcome of the treatment sessions. Include the number of sessions, response to treatment, side effects, challenges faced, and any adjustments made to the treatment plan.
- Results: A comparison of the client’s condition from the initial assessment to the end of the case study period. Were the treatment goals met? Any unexpected outcomes or observations? Provide specific details.
- Client’s Feedback: The client’s perspective on the treatment’s effectiveness, any benefits or challenges they experienced.
- Reflect on the entire case. Provide a concise wrap-up of the case study. Explain why the case is unique or significant. Discuss any lessons learned, personal insights, and how they may apply to clinical practice.
- Recommendations: Discuss what might be done differently in a similar future case.
- Provide a list of references to any books, articles, resources, or other studies cited in the case study. This enables readers to delve deeper into the topic if they wish.
Essays will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Does the case study follow the instructions above?
- Is the case study informative and interesting to read?
- Were the findings, results & conclusions reasonable and correctly interpreted?
- Was the case study proofread to correct spelling and grammatical errors?
Tips on Writing a Better Massage Scholarship Essay
Investing the time and effort into writing an awesome massage scholarship essay will improve the overall quality and chance of winning. Here are a few tips on how to create a better essay:
- Don’t wait until right before the deadline to start working on your essay. Start as far in advance as possible.
- Take some time to brainstorm ideas for your essay. Reflect on your unique experiences that will help your essay to be original, creative and interesting.
- In order to make the essay more readable, keep the paragraphs fairly short and organized in a logical order.
- Imagine that you are writing this essay for a specific friend or massage school classmate who is going to read every word. Write in a way that connects with your reader. Make it personal and engaging.
- Proofread the final draft. Be consistent with font type, size and spacing. Correct any typos.
- Have someone else read your essay too. It’s easy to overlook our own grammatical errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I verify that I am a current student at an approved school?
A: You can provide verification that you are currently enrolled as a massage therapy student by providing the contact information for your massage program director or school administrator on the application form. Only the finalists will be verified after the application deadline has passed.
Q: I will graduate before the scholarship submission deadline. Am I still eligible to enter?
A: Recent massage therapy graduates are eligible to participate as long as they have completed their entry-level massage therapy program on or after October 31, 2023.
Q: In which formats can my essay be saved and uploaded?
A: Written essays can be uploaded on the application form as a MS Word document, or in any of the following file extensions: .docx, .doc, .pages, .txt, .rtf, .wks, .wpd
Q: When will the scholarship winner be announced?
A: The winner will be announced by January 31, 2024.
Q: When and how will the scholarship be awarded?
A: The winner will receive a single scholarship payment in the form of a check within 30 days of announcing the winner. This check will be mailed directly to the winning student. The school’s financial aid department or administrator for the winning participant will also be notified when the funds have been issued.
Q: Can I submit multiple entries for this scholarship?
A: No. Only one essay will be accepted per student.
Q: Am I eligible for a scholarship if I am not a US citizen?
A: No. This massage student scholarship is for US citizens in a US-based massage therapy training program.
Note: By submitting a scholarship application, you agree to use any awarded scholarship prize money for education purposes only: tuition and/or related expenses such as school supplies, books, continuing education, etc.
Submitting your application hereby gives MBLExGuide permission to use or post your entry in part or in full on this website or our social media channels. Any contact information will remain confidential and will not be shared with other parties. Selection of the winning entry is at the sole discretion of MBLExGuide, and all decisions of the MBLExGuide Scholarship committee are final and binding.
For Massage Schools
For inquiries about whether or not your school is approved for the MBLExGuide Scholarship, or for assistance promoting this scholarship to your students and potential future students, please contact us.
All schools must be in the US or based in the US, and accredited or approved by an appropriate regulatory body to provide initial massage education that meets their state massage therapy or bodywork license requirements.