$1,000 Massage Therapy Scholarship
At MBLExGuide we believe in education and helping new massage therapists succeed. We know that completing a professional massage therapy training program can be challenging and require sacrifices.
As strong advocates for healthcare and wellness education, we are proud to give back to the massage and bodywork community and assist aspiring massage therapists on their journey.
2019 MBLExGuide Scholarship
This scholarship is available to any massage student currently enrolled in an approved entry-level massage therapy training school or program in the US (see eligibility requirements below). One winner will be selected and awarded the $1,000 scholarship.
Application Deadline: December 15, 2019
Application Period Will End In:
Share this page
In order to be eligible to apply for the MBLExGuide scholarship, massage therapy students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Participant must be a currently enrolled student in an approved entry-level massage education program in the US. To be approved, the massage program must meet all their state licensing requirements that enable graduates to apply for a state massage therapy license after completion of the program. This includes meeting the minimum number of classroom and instructional hours, and any other state curriculum requirements necessary for licensing. (Recent graduates from an approved massage therapy school or program are eligible to apply as long as they have completed their entry-level massage therapy program on or after May 1, 2019).
- The student must be in good standing with their massage school and passing all classes.
- Proof of current enrollment must accompany your scholarship entry. This can be contact information for your massage program director so that enrollment can be verified.
- Applicants must complete one written essay from the topics listed below, and must follow all entry guidelines.
- One entry per person will be accepted.
How to Apply
Review the eligibility criteria to ensure that you are eligible to participate with this massage therapy scholarship program. Write your essay following the submission guidelines detailed on this web page.
Complete the scholarship application form and upload your entry in the correct format as instructed on the application page.
Scholarship participants must complete an original written essay based on one of the following essay topics (be sure to read the essay guidelines below).
- What do you plan on doing with your new massage therapy skills during the first 12 months after graduating from massage school? For example, do you plan on working full-time or part-time at a local spa or other therapy clinic. Or do you plan on starting your own massage practice? How do you envision your first 12 months after you graduate and get licensed? Do you plan on continuing your therapy education with additional classes such as advanced massage therapy certifications or specialties?
- Share your favorite test-taking and/or study tips and strategies. Students who select to write on this essay topic should be good at taking tests, or have discovered strategies that help when preparing for comprehensive exams like the MBLEx. Be sure to include specific details about your test-taking or study methods that would be beneficial to other students.
*Note: This is a merit-based scholarship rather than a need-based grant. The winner will be selected based on the quality and degree of thought and effort put into his or her entry. See below for a list of evaluation criteria.
- Written essays must be 500 – 1000 words.
- Only original essay entries on the topic choices as described above will be accepted.
- Any plagiarized entries will be disqualified.
Essays will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Was the topic chosen from the available list of topics?
- Were all writing guidelines followed?
- Is the essay interesting and enjoyable to read all the way to the end?
- Did the student put thought and effort into creating his or her entry? Hint: the essay is also meant to be a learning assignment for massage therapy students. The available essay topics encourage you to reflect on things that will help you on your journey of becoming a professional massage therapist.
- Did the essay include specific details and go beyond the basic and superficial level?
- Was the essay proofread to correct any spelling or grammatical errors?
Tips on Writing a Better Scholarship Essay
Investing the time and effort into writing an awesome scholarship essay will improve the overall quality and chance of winning. Here are a few tips on how to create a better essay:
- Don’t wait until right before the deadline to start working on your essay. Start as far in advance as possible.
- Take some time to brainstorm ideas for your essay. Select the essay topic from the list above that resonates with you the most. Then reflect on your unique experiences that will help your essay to be original and interesting.
- In order to make the essay more readable, keep the paragraphs fairly short, and include some subheadings.
- Imagine that you are writing this essay for a specific friend who is going to read every word. Write in a way that connects with your reader. Make it personal and engaging.
- Don’t try to write it all in one day. Coming back to work on an essay after getting your mind off it for a while will usually result in some fresh insights that make for a better final result.
- Edit your work. Cut out the fluff. Clarify any confusing sections or awkward wording.
- Proofread the final draft. Be consistent with font type, size and spacing. Correct any typos.
- It also helps to print out the final draft on paper when proofreading. Reading your essay out loud will help you to notice errors that you may have previously overlooked.
- Have someone else read your essay too. It’s easy to overlook our own grammatical errors.
Frequently Asks Questions
Q: How do I verify that I am a current student at an approved school?
A: You can provide verification that you are currently enrolled as a massage therapy student by providing the contact information for your massage program director or administrator on the application form.
Q: I will graduate before the scholarship submission deadline. Am I still eligible to enter?
A: Recent massage therapy graduates are eligible to participate as long as they have completed their entry-level massage therapy program on or after May 1, 2019.
Q: What formats should my essay be saved and uploaded in?
A: Written essays can be uploaded on the application form as a MS Word document, or in any of the following file extensions: .docx, .doc, .pages, .txt, .rtf, .wks, .wpd
Q: When will the scholarship winners be announced?
A: The winner will be announced January 15, 2020.
Q: When and how will the scholarship be awarded?
A: The winner will receive a single scholarship payment in the form of a check within 30 days of announcing the winner. This check will be mailed directly to the winning student. The school’s financial aid department or administrator for the winning participant will also be notified when the funds have been issued.
Q: Can I submit multiple entries for this scholarship?
A: No. Only one essay will be accepted per student.
Q: Am I eligible for a scholarship if I am not a US citizen?
Note: By submitting a scholarship application, you agree to use any awarded scholarship prize money for education purposes only: tuition and/or related expenses such as school supplies, books, etc.
Submitting your application hereby gives MBLExGuide permission to use or post your entry in part or in full on this website or our social media channels. Any contact information will remain confidential and will not be shared with other parties. Selection of the winning entry is at the sole discretion of MBLExGuide, and all decisions of the MBLExGuide Scholarship committee are final and binding.
To inquire about getting your school approved for the Massage Therapy Student Scholarship, or for assistance promoting this scholarship to your students and potential future students, please contact us.
All schools must be in the US and accredited or approved by an appropriate regulatory body to provide initial massage education that meets their state massage therapy or bodywork license requirements.
This PDF flyer is ideal for posting on bulletin boards in classrooms and other student areas. It can also be emailed to students and other massage instructors, and shared on social media.