Massage Therapy Scholarship
At MBLExGuide we believe in education and helping new massage therapists succeed. We know that completing a professional massage therapy training program can be challenging and require sacrifices.
As strong advocates for healthcare and wellness education, we are proud to give back to the massage and bodywork community and assist aspiring massage therapists on their journey.
Spring 2020 MBLExGuide Scholarship
This scholarship is available to any massage student currently enrolled in an approved entry-level massage therapy training school or program in the US (see eligibility requirements below). One winner will be selected and awarded the $1,000 scholarship.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2020
Application Period Will End In:
Share this page
In order to be eligible to apply for the MBLExGuide scholarship, massage therapy students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Participant must be a currently enrolled student in an approved entry-level massage education program in the US. To be approved, the massage program must meet all their state licensing requirements that enable graduates to apply for a state massage therapy license after completion of the program. This includes meeting the minimum number of classroom and instructional hours, and any other state curriculum requirements necessary for licensing. (Recent graduates from an approved massage therapy school or program are eligible to apply as long as they have completed their entry-level massage therapy program on or after March 31, 2020).
- The student must be in good standing with their massage school and passing all classes.
- Proof of current enrollment must accompany your scholarship entry. This can be contact information for your massage program director so that enrollment can be verified.
- Applicants must complete one written essay based on the topic described below, and must follow all entry guidelines.
- One entry per student will be accepted.
How to Apply
Review the eligibility criteria (listed above) to ensure that you are eligible to participate with this massage therapy scholarship program. Write your essay following the submission guidelines detailed below.
Complete the scholarship application form and upload your entry as instructed on the application page.
- Written essays must be 1,000 – 2,000 words.
- Only original essays on a topic as described above will be accepted. Any plagiarized entries will be disqualified.
- Include at least 2 credible references (not Wikipedia)
- You may include images that you have permission to use, and that do not violate any copyrights or image licensing.
- You may supplement your lesson with tables, graphs, lists, sketches, charts, or other visual aids that help to convey the concepts in your lesson.
- Consider choosing a topic that you haven’t mastered yet but need to know anyway for your massage classes this semester.
- Feel free to go into as much depth and detail about your selected topic as you want. Remember that your goal is to help your reader to have a solid understanding of the subject when they are done reading it.
- The narrower and more specific/focused your topic is, the greater detail you will be able to go into.
- For ideas about topics covered in these three MBLEx content areas, you can view and download a copy of the MBLEx Content Outline on the FSMTB website.
- Run your entry through a spell check before submitting it. Note that some spell checkers may not recognize some medical and biology words.
Essays will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Was the essay topic based on the criteria as described above? (in the “How to Apply” section)
- Were all writing guidelines followed?
- Is the information in the essay accurate and clear?
- Is the essay interesting, beneficial and enjoyable for a massage therapy student to read all the way to the end?
- Is it apparent that the student put thought and effort into creating his or her entry?
- Did the essay include specific details and go beyond the basic and superficial level?
- Was the essay proofread to correct any spelling or grammatical errors?
*Note: This is a merit-based scholarship and not a need-based grant.
Tips on Writing a Better Scholarship Essay
Investing the time and effort into writing an awesome massage scholarship essay will improve the overall quality and chance of winning. Here are a few tips on how to create a better essay:
- Don’t wait until right before the deadline to start working on your essay. Start as far in advance as possible.
- Take some time to brainstorm ideas for your essay. Select the essay topic from the list above that resonates with you the most. Then reflect on your unique experiences that will help your essay to be original and interesting.
- In order to make the essay more readable, keep the paragraphs fairly short and organized in a logical order.
- Imagine that you are writing this essay for a specific friend or massage school classmate who is going to read every word. Write in a way that connects with your reader. Make it personal and engaging.
- Don’t try to write it all in one day. Coming back to work on an essay after getting your mind off it for a while will usually result in some fresh insights that make for a better final result.
- Edit your work. Cut out the fluff. Clarify any confusing sections or awkward wording.
- Proofread the final draft. Be consistent with font type, size and spacing. Correct any typos.
- It also helps to print out the final draft on paper when proofreading. Reading your essay out loud will help you to notice errors that you may have previously overlooked.
- Have someone else read your essay too. It’s easy to overlook our own grammatical errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I verify that I am a current student at an approved school?
A: You can provide verification that you are currently enrolled as a massage therapy student by providing the contact information for your massage program director or administrator on the application form.
Q: I will graduate before the scholarship submission deadline. Am I still eligible to enter?
A: Recent massage therapy graduates are eligible to participate as long as they have completed their entry-level massage therapy program on or after March 31, 2020.
Q: What formats should my essay be saved and uploaded in?
A: Written essays can be uploaded on the application form as a MS Word document, or in any of the following file extensions: .docx, .doc, .pages, .txt, .rtf, .wks, .wpd
Q: When will the scholarship winners be announced?
A: The winner will be announced July 31, 2020 on the winner’s page.
Q: When and how will the scholarship be awarded?
A: The winner will receive a single scholarship payment in the form of a check within 30 days of announcing the winner. This check will be mailed directly to the winning student. The school’s financial aid department or administrator for the winning participant will also be notified when the funds have been issued.
Q: Can I submit multiple entries for this scholarship?
A: No. Only one essay will be accepted per student.
Q: Am I eligible for a scholarship if I am not a US citizen?
Note: By submitting a scholarship application, you agree to use any awarded scholarship prize money for education purposes only: tuition and/or related expenses such as school supplies, books, continuing education, etc.
Submitting your application hereby gives MBLExGuide permission to use or post your entry in part or in full on this website or our social media channels. Any contact information will remain confidential and will not be shared with other parties. Selection of the winning entry is at the sole discretion of MBLExGuide, and all decisions of the MBLExGuide Scholarship committee are final and binding.
For Massage Schools
For inquiries about whether or not your school is approved for the MBLExGuide Scholarship, or for assistance promoting this scholarship to your students and potential future students, please contact us.
All schools must be in the US or based in the US, and accredited or approved by an appropriate regulatory body to provide initial massage education that meets their state massage therapy or bodywork license requirements.
This PDF flyer is ideal for posting on bulletin boards in classrooms and other student areas. It can also be emailed to students and other massage instructors, and shared on social media.